Inner development through “Learning by Doing”
Facilitated by Inessa Burdich MSc
We are pleased to present an experiential course on Self-development based on the teaching of Rudolf Steiner who dedicated a significant part of his work to individual spiritual development through meditation exercises. In fact, Steiner’s entire Spiritual Science paradigm or Anthroposophy is not only a revelation of spiritual perceptions but also a call for us to embark on a personal path of Inner Development, a vital prerequisite to fulfilling our mission here on Earth.
Inessa Burdich has been practicing meditation for more than 30 years and using her resultant supersensible perceptive abilities – acquired through this meditative work and continuously fine-tuned through her ongoing work with many clients – will guide you through a practical approach to Inner Work.
The path of self-development based upon Spiritual Science presented in this course will focus on you strengthening your “I” (your sense of Self) as a foundation of all spiritual work. You will learn approaches to increasingly focus your thinking, purify and refine your feeling life, and strengthen your will.
Why embark on a spiritual path?
The course offers an overview of the foundations of Anthroposophical “Spiritual Science” which can be experienced as something that nourishes the inner life, supports creativity, and helps participants to serve the world.
The main objectives of the course are:
- Learning and deepening the fundamental aspects of Spiritual Science, its insights and methods.
- Learning how to attain a higher level of awareness and mastery of our inner soul-spiritual life.
- Fostering a moral development and enriching the life of the soul based on a core understanding of the Higher (spiritual) Worlds and man’s relationship with them.
- Learning how to bring a positive and supportive supersensible contribution to the spiritual and moral development of the world.
- Learning how to conduct effective and lawful experiential research in supersensible realms.
How does Research in Spiritual Science work?
The first circle of sessions in the Research in Spiritual Science course focuses on researching ourselves and our supersensible constitution. This is the first step in spiritual diagnosis by which we learn to deepen our understanding of the fundamental aspects of our inner soul and spiritual life. In each session we will perform meditative exercises, deepened in turn by studying the most effective research attitudes and understanding how to attain a higher level of awareness of our inner life.
The course is conducted through the format of collaborative meditative study and research.
We will be guided by different questions such as:
- How can I begin to perform spiritual research?
- What are the spiritually lawful research methods used in Spiritual Science?
- What is the relationship between research and meditation?
- How is it possible to make a subjective first-person meditative experience an objective one?
Launched in 2018, this course has been successfully presented throughout Europe, frequently accompanied by artistic contribution such as classical music, poetry, eurythmy, Bothmer gymnastics, singing and drawing. Such soul-nourishing artistic intermezzos, brought to previous courses by gifted and enthused participants, are wholeheartedly welcomed on all of Inessa’s courses.
What is the content of the Research in Spiritual Science course?
The Research in Spiritual Science course consists of seven themes, each includes a talk and practical workshops. The course is usually facilitated during seven weekends – either in person or online.
Please note: All talks and workshops are based on our direct supersensible observations of many individuals over years. The sessions are as follows.
TALK – Meditation as a path of spiritual development and as a method for spiritual science research
Meditation has become an increasingly popular subject in recent times but is described and applied in many different ways. So what is it? In this talk we will explore meditation as a way to nourish and training our soul in a similar way that food and physical exercise are daily necessities for us.
Moreover, you will learn that meditation can also be used as a tool for spiritual research over a wide range of areas.
Focusing on an inner core question is a first aspect in spiritual research and creating a clear content-less inner space is a crucial requirement for it. Achieving these aspects gives the higher worlds the possibility to provide clear insights concerning the research topic.
WORKSHOP – How to control your thoughts
In the workshop we will discover and apply practical exercises to deepen the topic of the talk. This will be a space to explore the value and practice of meditation as a training and as a research process. Subjects covered include the following.
- Experiencing and researching will-o’-the-wisp thoughts;
- Practising concentration of thoughts;
- Exploring feelings of stability and confidence.
TALK – The Etheric realm (vital forces) in human beings and in nature
In this talk, mainly dedicated to the etheric realm, we will look at the functions of our ‘vital body’ (also called our etheric body) and how it is affected by our everyday activities.
- How does the etheric body in the human and in nature appear from a supersensible (non-physical) point of view?
- How does our etheric body change with age or after specific treatments or illnesses?
- What are the four different types of the etheric?
- How can we experience them in our life?
- How can we develop our etheric body?
- How do addictions appear from a spiritual point of view?
WORKSHOP – How can I gain Self-control?
This workshop, which also incorporates practical exercises, aims to deepen the topics of the talk.
- How do I train myself to control my actions and will?
- How do I uncover and explore an inner drive to become more active?
- How do I become more aware of my own etheric body?
- How can I bring the principle of rhythm into my life and why is it so important?
- How do I begin a new self-study curriculum and allocate certain times for daily meditation?
TALK – The Astral realm (emotional forces) in human beings and in nature
In these days of materialism and intellectualism, our feelings are often accorded little importance. Yet it is being increasingly recognised that they play a significant role in our well-being and, very importantly, our bodily health.
This talk is mainly dedicated to the area of our feelings and emotions (also called the astral body) and subjects which will be considered include the following.
- How does the astral body in the human appear from a supersensible point of view? How does it change with age or illness, your profession, etc.?
- How the astral body can be affected by our biographical situations, usual daily activities, and negative spiritual influences, even if they are not directly perceived?
- How do I train myself to control my feelings? How do I become more aware of my own astral body?
- How can I quieten my soul and maintain this quietness and equanimity?
WORKSHOP – How do I master my feelings & learn the key role of quietness in this process?
In this workshop we will learn practical exercises to deepen the content of the talk.
- Where are my feelings “located”?
- How can I train myself to control my feelings?
- Experiencing and researching feelings of heightened jubilation and deep sadness.
- Exploring the feeling of inner quietness.
- Why did Rudolf Steiner consider the complete quietness in the soul as being the first level of higher initiation?
TALK – Dimensions of the sense of Self (I-manifestation) and its relation to hypersensitivity.
In our individual spiritual journey, we ask ourselves again and again the core question: “Who am I?” The mystery of the I is the biggest enigma of our existence. It is incarnating in our lower bodies and manifesting itself there. In this talk we will discuss the problems of the manifestation of the “I”, i.e. the “sense of Self”, also called our I-body or I-bearer.
Strengthening the I-manifestation is considered to be a strong remedy against many mental disorders and other illnesses, and is the basis of all spiritual work. Aspects of strengthening our ‘I’ and the correlations between a strong I-manifestation and our health and illnesses will be explored using the example of hypersensitivity.
Today hypersensitivity is an increasingly common phenomenon. People with hypersensitivity have a distinct supersensible constitution and as part of this talk we will explore the genesis of hypersensitivity and ways of increasing personal resilience to overcome it.
WORKSHOP – How can I become aware of the strength of my own I-manifestation?
In the workshop we will learn practical exercises to deepen the topics of the talk.
- Am I “the master of my house”?
- How can I strengthen my inner self, i.e. my I-manifestation?
- Nowadays many people feel disorientated, scattered, and cannot find a connection with themselves – how can we bring ourselves back to our true self?
Positivity has a proven influence on the development of our I-manifestation so we will explore how to consciously turn our mind to the positive aspects of each experience in our life, researching and applying processes by which negative experiences can be transformed into positive ones and the resultant feelings of spiritual happiness.
TALK – The spiritual parts of the human constitution
In this talk, mainly dedicated to spiritual worlds, we explore the phenomenon of the human spiritual constitution. Our developed higher spiritual structure consists of three parts – Spirit Self, Life Spirit and Spirit Man. Human beings are able to develop their higher spiritual bodies by working on themselves via an inner spiritual path.
The higher spiritual bodies can be developed over multiple lifetimes and do not perish with the physical body but, on the contrary, stay active in spiritual worlds. They give us an orientation towards other souls in a process of “spiritual-community building”. We will consider the principles of this possibility.
WORKSHOP – Human spiritual constitution and the role of objectivity in research
This workshop, which will include practical exercises, will deepen our understanding of the topics discussed in the talk. It is mainly dedicated to the part of human spiritual constitution, which is called Spirit Self. We will consider the following subjects:
- Exploring and researching the fundamental role of objectivity in spiritual scientific research.
- Investigating the processes involved in transforming our subjective experiences into objective ones.
- Developing an attitude of being completely objective. Becoming aware of the Spirit Self.
TALK – The soul parts of the human constitution
This talk examines the phenomenon of the human-soul constitution and its division into three aspects, i.e. the Sentient, the Intellectual, and the Consciousness parts of the soul. Of these, the Sentient and the Consciousness parts will be mainly addressed in the talk.
Each part of the soul constitutes specific soul qualities. The “sentient” part is “responsible” for our instincts, anxiety, fears, anger and other subconscious “animalistic” emotions. The relationship between relevant illnesses and our soul will be examined. We will address the question: How can we support and harmonise our soul?
Allowing truth and good to dwell and live within us, we rise above the Sentient soul. What the soul carries within itself as truth and good is immortal and eternally radiant. This part of the soul is called the Consciousness soul.
WORKSHOP – How can I gain equilibrium and balance of soul?
This workshop, which will include practical exercises, will deepen our understanding of the topics discussed in the talk. On a path of inner development we become aware of how our life is full of disturbances and attractions that pull us in different directions every day.
- How do I find a spiritual centre of gravity that gives me strength and confidence, and supports me in keeping a steady balance of inner equilibrium and harmony?
- How does an inner balance between my soul and spiritual forces bring harmony into the relationship between my intellect, feelings and morality?
In this workshop we will explore how can we develop an equilibrium of soul, a spiritually inspired mood, which enables us to work safely and effectively in the world.
TALK – Mechanics of the Mind
In this talk, primarily dedicated to the area of our thinking processes (‘lower’ spiritual realm), we will look at the functions of the intellectual part of the soul (mental processes) and how it is affected by our everyday activities. Our thinking takes place in the so-called intellectual part of our soul, which can be understood as a kind of “stage” where the beings of thoughts can “appear and act”.
The intellectual part of the soul has the ability to receive thought-content and is receptive to a higher perception. A connection between the intellectual mind and spiritual insight is activated by a correctly formed research question, but to receive a clear answer from the spiritual worlds we have to provide a ‘state of mind without content’, i.e. a so-called ‘empty mind’ devoid of thoughts, wishes, images, bias, and preconceptions Achievement of the empty mind is an important step in our inner development and a core requirement for spiritual science research.
WORKSHOP – Empty mind and a research question
In this workshop we will work with practical exercises to deepen the topics addressed in the talk. We will explore following aspects:
- Where are our thoughts ‘located’?
- How do we experience a difference between the activity of thinking and the content of this thinking?
- Why for most of us an observation of our own thinking during the process of thinking is hard and can even be described as an ‘exceptional state’?
We will also research the question of how we can develop the ability to think nothing, and will practise and research how to achieve a state of mind that has no content. Finally, will also be explored the phenomenon and requirements of a lawful research question.
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
Inessa Burdich graduated as a physicist after which she embarked on an international business career spanning two decades. Her first passion was chess and she was a professional chess player and chess-coach for several years.
She gained her MSc in the UK in the field of Therapeutic Education. Inessa has practiced meditation all her life, having started at an early age.
Along with her husband she founded in Germany the research company Applied Spiritual Research, which offers supersensible research in a wide variety of fields.
Her domains of activity include
- Supersensible research in the development and production of mistletoe-based remedies. Inessa’s main focus of research is investigating the supersensible sources that lie behind illnesses, especially oncological and psychiatric illnesses (including addictions), autistic-spectrum conditions, vaccinations, infections, and also the human endocrine, lymphatic and immune systems.
- Counselling organisations and individuals, and also carrying out a spiritual audit of buildings and places.
- Workshops and talks on research in spiritual science and on methods of supersensible perception and their applications.
Inessa can be contacted at firstname.lastname@example.org and via www.spiritual-research.eu
* * * * * * * * * *
There is a feedback from Research in Spiritual Science course facilitated at Emerson College, UK 2020/2021. It was published in the Autumn Newsletter of the Anthroposophical Society in Great Britain: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1ntZKpnPFkq96irgtoaf1wJIGJYIH_U0u/view?usp=sharing
* * * * * * * * * *
And also there is one more feedback from Research in Spiritual Science course facilitated at Emerson College, UK, that was published in the Winter Newsletter of the Anthroposophical Society in Great Britain:
* * * * * * * * * *
You can read more about the inspiration and methodology, and the importance of the Research element of the course in this interview by Emerson College, UK
* * * * * * * * * *
There is some more feedback (below the course info)
* * * * * * * * * *
All seven themes of the course in one page: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1SNgpMY638T9gXMvLSA66UZ6e0gsT7qZe/view?usp=sharing
* * * * * * * * * *